Thursday, November 29, 2007

Oil Pastel papers and surfaces










For the beginner the type of paper or surface you decide to paint on is something you just have to experiment with. Because of the OP's versatility (you can paint on paper, wood, glass) it opens up a lot of surface possibilities. In my first painting it was suggested to me to try printmaking papers. I really liked the way the OP absorbed into the surface and allowed me to build up layers while retaining vibrancy. I have been experimenting with different weights and brands of these papers and find myself favoring the heavier ones. Some OP artists like smooth surfaces such as Arches hot press watercolor paper or smooth illustration board. This is a great option for smoothing out the pastel such as one would do in portraits and fine detail. It all depends on how you want to approach your painting. I realized quickly that I like to paint more aggressively and really layer the color up to a point of thick impasto. So as a result I keep seeking out heavier papers to hold the OP. I'm also starting to discover that I should be moving toward a paper that has a toothier surface. I really like the effect of scumbling in OP and can imagine it would be even more pronounced with a rougher paper. Ultimately you will have to decide what surfaces suit your style of painting. I just bought a piece of Colourfix paper and have yet to try it out. What paper or surface do you like best? I'm open to suggestions! Below I'm going to list some papers that offer different qualities that that are desirable for oil pastel.

Pastel Paper (a good site to research and buy these papers is online @ Dakota Art Pastels)
Printmaking Papers (you might have to search a little harder for these. Try camera shops)
Mat board-acid free
Illustration Board
Colourfix ( these are coated papers that you can get in many colors)
Wallis Sanded Paper
Watercolor Paper
Museum Board

No comments: