Friday, November 16, 2007

First oil pastel














Herrick Park 2007
Printmaking paper

Although there are some things I like about this painting, in general I am very unsatisfied with it. It really was just a learning process, teaching me what the OP can do. First I created a dark underpainting using the resin gel, then working from a digital photo I had taken from a local forest preserve I started applying color. I just started making marks, scratching into the pastel and scumbling to add texture. The tree was the part that gave me the most trouble. I reworked it countless times. But..... that just shows you the OP versatility. How many mediums can you rework until your satisfied. There are some restrictions to this but in general a very flexible medium.

4 comments:

Mrs. Hawk said...

randomly found your blog through an oil pastel search.
saw this picture and although you say you're unsatisfied i think the color variation is brilliant.

Julia said...

Thank you, the_art_of_letting_go.
It was that tree. I realized once finished it didn't belong on the painting at all.

Anonymous said...

Simply beautiful

Julia said...

Thank you Thadeu.