Sunday, December 16, 2007

George Shipperley on Pastel Brands














Plateau
Oil Pastel
George Shipperley



I recently contacted Oil Pastelist George Shipperley to ask him to share what OP's he prefers. It's always interesting and enlightening to find out how successful artists approach their work and what kind of materials and mediums they use. He was kind enough to send a few paragraphs that I posted below.........

Regarding your request as to which oil pastel brands I prefer, the following are my preferences.

1. Holbein (best quality) they make a less expensive pastel also, but ALWAYS buy the better.

This is my favorite because of the large selection of colors and user-friendly consistency. The colors have depth and richness unlike any less expensive brand. They also last longer because they’re not too soft. It is very important to keep in mind that an inexpensive oil pastel will not provide what you the artist are capable of doing, but a quality product will fulfill that requirement. We want depth of color and richness of color, not the look of crayons which is what you get with the cheaper brands. Holbein also works wonderfully with a medium.

2. Sennelier (both the regular and the Jumbo size) the regular are much creamier than Holbein but extra rich in pigmentation with a smaller selection of colors. It is important to realize you should not apply Holbein over Sennelier but Sennelier over Holbein. Sennelier is so much creamier and works beautifully as a last layer. Of course you can use it exclusively also.

The jumbo size is incredible because it lasts longer and is less creamy. Great for large pieces and a good color selection.

You will find that all three of these suggestions are more expensive than any other oil pastel brand, but the opportunities and results will be rewarding, and that's what were after. Someone once told me to paint like you’re a millionaire and by that she meant when you cut material costs you also are cutting yourself out of a quality piece of work. LIFT THAT RESTRICTION AND YOU WILL ACHIEVE YOUR CAPABILITIES. This is one time we should not cut costs.


Thanks Mr. Shipperley.
What OP brands do you prefer? I recently found an amazing artist who only uses Caran d' Ache NeoPastels but the work is very much realism. I think it depends on your style of painting in OP. Maybe Op's with a Little more waxy filler is better for blending (with a turp?) in a realistic style. I don't know for sure but I'm going to find out!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I very much agree with George. When I was first starting out with oil pastels and using student grade sticks, each painting took much longer to complete. Sometimes I felt like I was fighting with the oil pastels to make them do what I wanted. Now I primarily use artist grade Holbeins with Senneliers for finishing touches.

Julia said...

In my introduction to OP, my instructor stressed the importance of using high quality oil pastel. So,in wanting to use the best I have never used anything but Holbeins and Senneliers. But, I think I have to try the Caran d'Ache because two artists who's work I admire a lot and that are featured in this blog use them. Thanks anima for the comment.